Sunday 21 February 2016

Audience Research

For my Audience Research I wanted to talk to some people I knew so that I could grasp what the audience want to see in a Thriller. 

First I asked my sister;

Q.What is your favorite Thriller? Why?
A. My favorite is probably Gone Girl, I like the psychology behind the movie it is interesting and keeps me hooked. I also think that the twists and the unpredictability keeps me guessing and therefore intrigued, so I think that's why it is my favorite.

Q. What do you think generally makes a thriller?
A. A good story line and a good ending, preferably with a twist makes a good thriller. Again, if the movie keeps me guessing it's always better.

Q. What do you suggest I include in my opening to make it a Thriller?
A. Really good music, suspense and subtle hints implying what is going to happen in the rest of the movie. Also, I like the grainy sort of texture to the camera in Thrillers and Horrors it makes it more exciting and eerie.

Q. Is the setting and lighting a big part of setting the scene? How could I achieve this?
A. These are massive, with lighting you could use shadows and make sure it's not too dim therefore you still can see and it becomes a lot more gripping. The setting depends mostly on the story line, but a creepy house is always a good starter for a thriller. 

Then I asked a friend; 

Q. What is your favorite Thriller? Why?
A. My favorite thriller is insidious, it wasn't very bloody and in some ways this made it scarier. I liked not having blood in it, in some ways it made the audience larger because it was more appealing to some and was exciting for everyone.  

Q. What do you think generally makes a Thriller?
A. A movie that can make you jump is a good thriller, it has to be unexpected making it a good Thriller.

Q. What do you suggest I include in my opening to make it a Thriller?
A. Intense sound effects will start to build up tension in the opening, you should definitely include them to open the thriller.

Q. Is the setting and lighting a big part of setting the scene? How could I achieve this?
A. it's very important because it sets the scene for the whole movie and also creates the mood.

Therefore, by doing my audience research I have found in the opening of the Thriller we must include really good setting and lighting because without these the mood and atmosphere is lost. We also must include good sound at the beginning because both my interviewees said sound effects and the music were really important for getting in the mood of the film. I think we should definitely include hints to the story line in the beginning, and foreshadowing as well as this seemed quiet important. Thus, I have found some very important factors that we should include in the opening to our Thriller that perhaps I hadn't thought about before.

No comments:

Post a Comment